You guys. I am so very excited to share this recipe with you (!!).
I had a very ho-hum week in the kitchen. Some recipes I tried fell disappointingly flat.
Obviously, I want to share only my favourites. As a blogger, this can be a frustrating process when trying to come up with fresh content!
And then- Hallelujah!- I whipped up this dish and I knew I had to share. The flavour was out of this world.
These cold soba noodles are basically a vehicle for this awesome sauce (NOT to be confused with “awesomesauce”- cringe) which called for tahini and a shocking amount of sesame oil.
I’ve always thought sesame oil was to be used rather sparingly, but here it totally works.
Colour me surprised!
This can be consumed hot (loved it), cold (also loved it) as a side dish (yum) or as a meal (did that!)
Try it out and tell me what you think! ( Based on this recipe from foodnetwork.com)
Cold Sesame Tahini Soba Bowl
20 minutes, serves 4
– 1/3 cup soy sauce or tamari
-2 tablespoons brown sugar or honey
-1 tablespoon molasses
-3 tablespoons sesame oil
-3 tablespoons tahini
-3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
-3 cloves garlic, minced
– pinch or two of hot red chilli flakes
-1/2 fresh red bell pepper, sliced thinly
-1/2 cup peanuts
-1 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
-1/2 cup chopped spring onion
-wedge of fresh lime
-1 package soba noodles
1) In a small saucepan, bring soy sauce, vinegar, brown sugar and garlic to a boil. Turn heat to low and stir in molasses and return to simmer until reduced about 1/3.
2) Remove from heat and transfer to a mixing bowl. Add sesame oil, tahini and sprinkle of chilli flakes. Whisk to combine. Add salt if desired.
3) In large pot, bring water to boil and add noodles. Stir and watch until they soften (should take 3-5 minutes). Do not over cook!
4) Have ice bath ready. Drain noodles, plunge in ice bath and drain again. Rinse well with running water.
5) Combine noodles and sauce and rest of ingredients. Garnish and serve.
Feel free to add chicken or tofu to hearty it up. Although I found it rather filling on its own and the peanuts added good protein.
I want to make more. Right now.