Someone in this apartment does not much care for mushrooms. That being said, he’s been slowly coming around.
So… I decided to push this soup on him.
I loved it. (Too much, too soon?)
It is really easy and fast with a rich, deep flavour.
Not recommended for those who are shy around mushrooms.
Easy Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup
Serves 4, total time: approx 20 minutes. Adapted from this recipe from food.com
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 3 cups (approx) thinly sliced mushrooms
- 1 small white onion, chopped finely
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups stock (vegetable or chicken. I used homemade chicken stock)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup cream
- Pinch nutmeg
- Pinch sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Slice mushrooms, and fry with onions, garlic and butter. Add wine and Dijon and reduce (approx 5 minutes)
- Stir in 2 tablespoons flour.
- Add stock and stir frequently until well incorporated and slightly thickened.
- Stir in cream with remaining 1 tablespoon flour. Add remaining seasonings (salt, pepper, nutmeg, sugar)
- Serve hot!
This beats the gloopy sodium bomb that is canned cream of mushroom soup any day. I lightened up the cream quotient by substituting milk, to minimize the January guilt pangs. For a soup that eats like a meal, add a hearty scoop of cooked quinoa.